Tuesday 26 July 2016

TABITHA:

TABITHA:
Tabitha came to us as a kitten,
She belonged to my eldest son Rob.
How we came to adopt her,
He had to move away for his job.

She got on very well with Sheba our dog.
Though the dog kept on her a beady eye.
To ensure she got up to no michief.
As she let the world go by.

When Tabitha was a few years old
She went missing for a while.
After a couple of days she appeared.
I'm sure on her face was a smile.
Well the years rolled by,
And she started to loose weight.
I took her to the vets,
A thing I most certainly did hate.
 
He did blood test,diabetic was she.
We had to learn to give her insulin shots.
My husband always did the deed.
Did I have the courage? well no not alot.
 
I had to learn very quickly to do it,
As hubby had passed away.
Tabitha was a great comfort to me.
So I had to do my best for her all the way.
 
She travelled with me on the train,
To our caravan in the county of Surrey.
She used to enjoy it there.
To return home we were never in a hurry.
 
Two years later she became ill.
Once more to the vets we went.
He looked at me and said "She's had enough"
So out of the room I was sent.
 
After he put her to sleep.
I went in to say my goodbyes.
Having done that I started to walk home.
With tears streaming out of my eyes.
 
Tabitha was truly a character,
To that there were no doubt.
She was like another baby to me.
Loving her was what life was all about.

14 comments:

  1. A lovely poem Yvonne, and without doubt Tabitha was a beautiful cat. It's awful when anything happens to them isn't it?

    I've just lost a very sweet little ginger kitten, born five weeks ago to a cat I took in - he was very much a surprise as she didn't look pregnant. He was very tiny but seemed to be doing well, though I was going to get him checked out at the vet's when he reached six weeks, however even though he'd been fine when I went to bed late Sunday night I got up yesterday to find he'd died. I'm not sure if there really was something wrong with him or if maybe mum had rolled over and accidentally squashed him. I feel really sad as he was such a sweet little thing :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tigermouse for your super comment.
      I am sorry to read about your kitten,Perhaps as you say mother may have rolled over on him.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. very pretty cat and lovely poem salute. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a truly wonderful cat indeed. Never easy when they pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it sin't easy when they pass as I found out .
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you and Tabitha had each other. It's so hard to lose them.
    Do you think it's time to adopt another friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Sandra, I would dearly love a cat but where I live am not allowed pets.
      Yet other establishments in the street have plenty of animals.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. You were good for each other. Always sad to lose a pet. They just don't live long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tabitha was a great comfort to me after hubby passed away, but as you say we were good for each other.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  6. Tabitha was beautiful. She reminds me of my Patches. Cats are great friends and wonderful company. Her memories live on in your heart. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly for those lovely words. Much appreciated.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  7. A cat is always a blessing. We had a Scottish fold once. With us for a few years. Must have died of old age. Everyone cried when it happened.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are lovely creatures, I'm not allowed pets where I live.
      Yvonne.

      Delete