Tuesday 15 August 2017

THAT'S ALL I ASK OF YOU:

With the continued deadlock in my
family life I re-write a blast from the past:
THAT'S ALL I ASK OF YOU:
Idon't care for riches, diamonds, silver or gold.
Or to reside in a palace as they're often very cold.
You see my life's requirements are very, very few.
Just think of me once in a while, that's all i ask of you.

I don't need a flash car to get me from here to there.
I can use "Shank's Ponies" to get me some fresh air.
I love to smell the flowers that herald the coming of spring.
All I ask of you is sometimes just give me a ring.

I don't need servants to be at my beck and call.
The mundane things around the house I will do them all.
I'll clean the carpets thoroughly, and the windows too.
Please pay me a visit one day, that's all I ask of you.

I don't take life or things for granted....not anymore.
Life is for living of that I'm very sure.
Count your blessing daily, I'm sure you've quite a few.
Wear a smile upon your face, that all I ask of you.

Be motivated your goals to achieve,
Don't be down in the mouth and wear your heart on your sleeve.
Hold your head up high and to yourself be true.
That my dear three children is all I ask of you.

Please don't hold grudges as you travel along life's way.
One never knows if you require help on some future day.
Treat others as you wish to be treated too.
Let sunshine into your life, that's all I ask of you.

Finally comes respect and love
That comes with the experience of life.
From the moment of birth until you become husband or wife.
Let your own children learn these things all their lives through.
To respect and love their parents, that's all I ask of you.

From my book"Written From The Heart"
Copyright and all rights reserved
Yvonne Lewis 2011

18 comments:

  1. Great way to be in life indeed as the different ascepts of it take seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can take awhile for some to figure out what is important in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree with you Joanne.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. This is very beautiful and moving, Yvonne. And so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a moving piece full of great lessons that should be taught to all children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrys for your kind comment.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. I remember this poem well. Such an important message. I don't expect much from others either--my life is simple for the most part and I like things that way. I am thankful that my children call me now and then, though a bit more often would be okay. But I know they have busy lives so I understand.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good Lee that yours do get in touch. Mine just don't want me. Hence putting this poem back on my blog.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  6. Great reflection and beautifully written Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very heartwarming to read. I can't imagine what you are going through and can only pray that light will shine at the end of the tunnel. Give it time. Warm greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bogartti, it is hard at times not to get upset but I won't be human if I said I didn't.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  8. Your words bring a tear to my eyes, Yvonne. I pray that one day your family will be reunited. If they only knew they were missing the most precious part of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm missing out too Beverly....on three children and four grandchildren.
      Thanks for your lovely comment.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  9. It's just me catching up. Loved this one - very touching, and sound advice! I hope your family is reunited in love soon. Grudges and squabbles are a waste of precious time, imho. All our days are numbered, don't want to be spending them wastefully, unmindfully, or in useless anger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your most lovely comment Nilanjana, much appreciated.

      Yvonne.

      Delete