Tuesday 19 December 2017

CHRISTMAS PAST:

Being alone at Christmas this are the 
memories I shall be re-living:
( dedicated to my children ....with dad in mind. )
CHRISTMAS PAST:
As Christmastime approaches,
I think of Christmas past.
The lovely memories that I have,
Will forever with me last.
 
How when the children were snall,
You were like a big kid yourself.
Although we only had a small house,
And indeed no means of wealth.
 
How you loved to decorate the tree.
And marvel at the sight.
Though nine times out of ten
Who couldn't fix the lights?
 
Then the decorations of the house,
Balloons were you big thing.
Alas the cat and dog  disagreed with you
When they burst, off they went like a bird on the wing.
 
On Christmas Eve you would send
The kids a packing.
Off to bed so you could continue
The rest of present wrapping.
 
On Christmas morning who awoke first?
Yes you guessed it folk in one.
Then slowly the children descended,
The stairs sleepily one by one.
 
You loved to play with their gifts.
Until it was time for lunch.
Each year it was the same,
Who was doing the wahing up?  that was the crunch.
 
On Christmas Night three tired
Children off to bed they go.
I wonder it they think of
Christmas's so long ago.
 
From the book
NEGATIVE V. POSITIVE.
Copyright All Rights Reserved.
Yvonne Lewis 2008
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Greetings Yvonne. A heart-felt poetic-piece. Sorry for any suffering you have experienced! The older we get, the more loved ones pass around us - a sad but true fact. Blessings to you. I hope your Tuesday is a good one? I'm off to town soon.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, What saddens me most of all is that none of my kids are in my life and are still alive. But I guess "That's Lifw".

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. Great memories can sure get one through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all I have Pat. thanks for the visit.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. Your husband knew how to do Christmas right. And what better time to be a big kid at heart?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Alex he most certainly did. Thanks for the visit.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely poem but definitely makes me feel a little down. I have a feeling that I'm going to outlive all of the people I love and that thought of being alone and simply remembering the past is torturous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you and Hello Robert, my three children are still alive also the grandchildren but I seem to be out of their lives. It's not my first Christmas alone but there are people worse off than myself.
    I take each day as it comes .......especially at Christmas.
    Happy Christmas to you Robert.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely poem, Yvonne. You've got some wonderful memories there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sandra I do have wonderful memories, thanks for your visit.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  8. I wonder it they think of
    Christmas's so long ago.

    They certainly would as most children should. Memories linger on, Yvonne though it might not be communicated as expected!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hank, I don't know how my children communicate anymore so I don't expect their responses.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  9. the memories stay rich and live in poems like this. Good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne for your kind words, just of late have forgotten many happy days which will be remedied.

      Yvonne.

      Delete