Thursday 4 August 2016

I'M OFF:

I thought as the Rio Olympics 2016
is due to commence tomorrow I would
reintroduce this poem I put on some months ago:
I'M OFF:
I'm off to compete in the Olympics,
I'm not sure which event to take part.
I haven't even started training yet,
Which is putting the horse before the cart.

I thought I would jump over hurdles,
As I've had many a hurdle to conquer in my life.
 I've jumped them with great determination,
Gone is all stress and strife.

Then again I could do rowing,
As often told I'm putting my oar in.
 If I'm so good at doing that
Then surely I'm bound to win.

Of course there is the swimming.
Down in the water so deep.
 Many's the time I've been in the depths of despair,
I think I've earned a medal to keep.

Then again there is the high jump.
That's another thing I'm renowned for.
 Surely I could win a medal,
As  I land on my bottom, oh so sore.

I suppose I could do a sprint.
But I'm no good at running away.
I face up to my responsibilities,
One way or other I pay.

Yes folk I'm off to The Olympics,
Be me a saint or a sinner.

For deep in my heart, I have a head start.
As in life I am always a winner.
 
From the book "Written from the Heart"
Copyright Yvonne Lewis 2011

8 comments:

  1. Cleverly set to the occasion. One has to grapple with life's struggle to get a gold medal as of right!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful dedication to he spirit of sports!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vandana for those kind words.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. Sure a winner one can be in life indeed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It's so motivational and upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your continued support Sandra.
      Yvonne.

      Delete