Thursday 23 May 2019

GOODNIGHT JOHN BOY:

I wrote the poem below after seeing an old
show of The Walton's: The ending inspired the poem:
 
GOODNIGHT JOHN BOY:
 
The day you entered this world,
A sunny October Day.
As I cradled you in my arms,
These words to you I did say.
 
"May your life be healthy,
May it be happy too.
To you my dear son John,
Unconditional love I bestow on you".
 
You were a happy child.
Loved to kick a ball.
Went on to play soccer professionally,
Directly after leaving school.
 
So much pleasure you  gave,
To family and to friends.
You were a rock to lean upon.
On you one could always depend.
 
Your life directed you to reside in Spain.
Twas there Kelly and you did meet.
You eventually got married,
A prouder mum one could'nt wish to meet.

Well the years they did roll by,
How well you enjoyed your Spanish life.
I too lived there for a short while,
Close by to you and your wife.

Then you were taken ill,
I didn't see you again.
For on an October evening (2018)
You passed away in Spain.

Rest in peace my dear son.
You gave me so much joy.
Each night as I retire to bed,
I whisper "Goodnight" to my
"John Boy". 

Copyright Yvonne Lewis (2019)
 

18 comments:

  1. A lovely poem Yvonne, with the last verse being especially poignant. Sorry I haven't been around much recently but major pc problems have been giving me the mother of all headaches :( Hopefully now completely sorted but I'm having to find my way round a completely new-to-me operating system and it isn't easy :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tigermouse, a lovely comment which is much appreciated. Sorry about your pc problems, I am not technically minded and should anything go wrong with mine or phone I am lost. Best of luck finding your way around the new system.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. excellent tribute poem. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. You write beautifully.

    P.S. I love watching The Waltons.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, a lovely comment I appreciate very much.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful poem, Yvonne. What a loving tribute to John. He and his wife made a beautiful/handsome couple.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty, yes, they did make a wonderful pair together.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
    2. I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose a child.
      I also didn't know he was a professional soccer player.
      Wishing you happy memories and a lessening of pain.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Sandra, yes John played football for many years until some other player kicked his ankle instead of the ball and John had to have steel plates inserted and had to give up playing...hence his move to Spain. Losing a child is the worsst experience I've had to endure, it's a different sort of grief than losing other members of the family.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. Lovely poem. I feel your sadness, though. Here's a big hug for you: HUG!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry for your lovely comment and most wanted "Hug".

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  6. That's a beautiful poem for John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex writing it has "Lightened " my load a wee bit. I found writing this theraputic.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  7. A lovely tribute to your son, Yvonne. You'll always have the memories. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly I value your comment.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  8. Just beautiful, Yvonne! I can imagine you cradling John in your arms; now, and for always, you cradle him in your heart. Sending you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fundy Blue for your most welcomed comment also the hug, much appreciated.

      Yvonne.

      Delete