Thursday 9 January 2020

JANUARY 2020 ISWG: SORRY FOR BEING LATE:

I apologise for being late this month:
I wish you all a Happy New Year and
as always my thanks go to Alex and team for the good work
Put into this wonderful site.
 
How and Why I write (or try to)
 
My first poem way back in 92,
Was when our dog Sheba was put to sleep.
I poured my mixed emotions on paper.
As quiet tears I did weep.
 
My next poem was in July 98,
When our first grandchild arrived.
I wrote to "Welcome him to the family,"
This time happier tears I cried.
 
Ten days after Josh was born,
My mother suddenly passed away.
I was totally devastated,
Is all that I can say.
 
Two months later in the September,
My husband went to join my mum.
It was then I started to write again
Throughout the years to come.
 
I've written about my dear departed,
My three  children and three more grandkids.
I found I could express myself better in a poem.
No feelings I have hid.
 
I've also written about my travels,
Especially to Spain and the US.
Also concerts to see my Danny Boy
As you can probably guess.
 
One great day in America I recall,
Was in the wonderful LA.
Twas there I met fellow blogger Arlee Bird.
It was a most fantastic day.
 
I've had four published books over the years,
I am currently writing book number five.
All about my son John.
Who sadly is no longer alive.
 
It's strange about my dabble at "Poetry Writing",
As when I was at school,
Poetry was a subject I tried to avoid.
Saying "I Was Nobody's Fool".
 
But I find it very comforting,
In good times and in bad.
Pouring my heart and soul onto paper.
For that I'm extremely glad. 


Yvonne Lewis: 09/01/2020:
 
 
 

20 comments:

  1. Writing can be very therapeutic. A lot of people start writing to help them handle tough issues in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sherry can be therapeutic as I found out twenty one years ago. It have lightened many a weary load.
      Thanks for your kind words.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. Writing is a good way to explore feelings and help make sense of things. It has certainly helped me greatly over the years. Glad you have found comfort and pleasure in your poetry over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne, yes it has been helpful and somehow I eventually can put things into perspective.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. Writing helps us deal with stuff. Just think - four books and one more on the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex, having trouble writing about John at present but WILL get there.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  4. Its good that you keep writing Yvonne. Perhaps in the days ahead there will be lots of happy things to write about, like spring warmer weather, the beach, etc.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Betty Spring will brighten up life considerably.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. You found in writing poetry what your heart feels, Yvonne. And so you write your lovely words to share their beauty with the world. And you make the world a lovelier place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly what a lovely comment. Thank you.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  6. That's great that you have been writing for so long and are now writing about your son. I hope it helps you with your loss. I'm trying to write more too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing about the loss of a son is harder than my dear hubby I find but am slogging away at it. Thanks for soming by Natalie.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  7. You work out a lot in your poems and also it's a lovely way to share with us in blog land. I've enjoyed this over the years. You always touch the soul of life. Excellent! Have a good weekend. Going to be colder here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne hope your weekend goes well. Thanks again for the lovely comment.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  8. I remember a story about you meeting Arlee. :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a lovely person Chrys, made me feel very welcome in LA. It was lovely to meet him after being blogging buddies for years.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  9. Pouring my heart and soul onto paper.
    For that I'm extremely glad.

    Somewhat a similar experience, Yvonne. Never went seriously into it when young but a life saver these days

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hank for your comment. Yes, it's good to be able to express one's thoughts and emotions in writing.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  10. Did I miss you on IWSG Day, Yvonne? I thought I did, but maybe my brain is scrambled. I'm still visiting fellow members. Writing certainly helps to cope with the big events in our lives, especially the challenging ones. But you do it in verse! You're amazing! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was late submitting my post Louise. Thanks for coming by. I find it comforting to be able to try and write how I feel.

      Yvonne.

      Delete