Wednesday 15 July 2020

I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW:

I wrote this poem for my last book,
each poem was a song title:
 
I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW:
Life has a habit
Of having it's ups and downs.
Whether you've a smile on your face
Or a continual frown.
 
I've been badly hurt in the past,
Myself feeling "Let Down".
But I will let you into a secret,
How I got rid of that frown.
 
One weekend I thought,
"Yvonne This Will Not Do"
"Everyone is allowed their opinion"
"Well, the same goes for you"
 
I sat down and did some soul searching,
Weighinh up my good side and my bad.
Oh yes! we all have both.
Which can sometimes make folk sad.
 
I decided to let my good side
Take prevalence in my life.
Treat people kindly, even those
Who caused me tears and strife.
 
Put on your happy face,
Where'er your life may lead.
I can see more clearly now,
Yes folks! Yes indeed.
 
Copyright Yvonne Lewis 2016
From the book
Stand Beside Me Danny Boy.

12 comments:

  1. relevant poem today. Still have to soul search because sometimes the eyes cloud over. But then get back on track, step outside and look up and out, and then get on with life. Have a good Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joanne for your kind comment. Very true your words.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. It is always good to treat people kindly Yvonne, even if they have hurt us. Always good to take the higher road I believe. Lovely poem!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty, always treat people as you wish to be treated is so very true.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. It must be equal for us, too. We forget we matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very uplifting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, lovely of you to say so.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. Your happy face is lovely, Yvonne. I'm glad you chose that one. And you are so right. Look on the bright side. It's not always easy, but it brings that beautiful smile. Have a good rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Beverly, such a lovely comment.

      Take care.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  6. Such an inspirational message, Yvonne! Yes, we all have a good side and a bad. Sometimes it's hard to get past the bad and choose the good. It is also important to forgive ourselves for things that happened in the past and to treat ourselves gently and with kindness. Every day is a new opportunity to choose lightness over darkness. Some days are darker than others, but we must keep trying to embrace the good in our lives! Sending you a big smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this many years ago Louise, thanks for the comment much apreciated.

      Yvonne.

      Delete