Tuesday 14 July 2020

MY MUM:

Today twenty two years ago today my mother (pic above)
Passed away, so naturally am full of memories.
I wrote this poem just months after her passing.
MY MUM:
You were a mum in a million,
One with a heart of gold.
Your first priority was your family,
Your memory will never grow old.

Although your life was very tough,
You taught me right from wrong.
You set me a good example,
Your love made me strong.

I thank you for so many things
You sacrificed for me.
Yes, life was very hard for you,
Dad died when I was three.

Throughout my life you were always there
When I needed you.
Recently the roles were reversed
As I spent your last day with you.

As I sat and held your hand
As you passed from one life to another.
With tears in my eyes, I said my goodbyes,
To a person I was proud to call Mother. 

Copyright Yvonne Lewis 2008:
From the book
Negative V. Positive.

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have such special memories of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, she was a wonderful mother and friend.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. very sad and I'm sure fresh in your brain from 22 years ago. Take a walk for her and you can even talk to her behind your mask. No one will know. Stay strong. She does sound like one in a million.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne, had lots of thoughts today

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. Lovely tribute to your mom, Yvonne! We always miss them, don't we?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty, yes we do miss them.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Alex, a lovely thing to say.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely tribute to your wonderful mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and heartfelt. I felt that. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely poem to remember your mother with, Yvonne. I was with my mother when she died. It is an experience like no other, very painful but also a privilege. It must have been a special comfort to your mother to have you with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, for all your kind words and comments.

      Yvonne.

      Delete