Thursday 15 October 2020

HOW CAN I FORGET YOU ?


The poem below is a true account

of what happened many years ago

But the title is appropriate for my feelings

today. My son passed away 2 years ago

today. 

JOHN LEWIS: 06/10/68-- 15/10/2018

HOW CAN I FORGET YOU?

It was towards the end of October,

You son was barely three weeks old.

We had to go shopping that day,

The weather was extremely cold.


I wrapped you so you'd remain warm,

My mother was looking aftert brother Rob.

Who was a little off colour,

Even now I can hear his sobs.


I put you into your pram.

Walked the twenty minute walk to the shops.

Visited the local post office,

Enusred you were safe as we stopped.


Business done at the post office,

Returned home cold from the wind.

My mother shouting frantically,

Putting my mind in a spin.


You see dear son I had left you,

Outside that shop quite a distance away.

Ran almost nonstop to reach you.

Many prayers on the way I did say.


Well at last I could see your pram.

Took a frantic peep inside.

You were still sleeping as I left you,

Tears of happiness I cried.


How could I forget YOU?

I've thought of that moment many times.

Anything could have happened to you,

In a day of so many crimes.


But alls well that ended well,

On that October morn.

It's one memory that has remained I may add.

Whether my heart has been happy or torn.

Copyright Yvonne Lewis:


Hopefully will be back next week

Everyone take care.

 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with us. We never forget those we love that we have lost. I will be thinking of you today. I know it'll be a hard day for you, and I hope you have some family support to help you get through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie, heard from my son and daughter here in the UK. It was a hard day.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. quite a poem and story and not uncommon. I've heard other tired weary moms go off and "forget". Glad it was not in a closed car - that's the danger point in Texas, especially under summer sun. Hey - it was part of your shared history, ups and downs. Take care. Hope you are doing well enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joanne, it was a shock realising I left John back outside the shop.....easily done though.
      Take care.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. I know that was a scary moment for you. And it's easier to do than people would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easily done Sandra. Thanks for your comment.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  4. Now that's wild! Fortunately times were safer then. Surprised no one had called you or took your son inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex, I didn't have a phone back then so learned the hard way.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. So sorry about your loss Yvonne. I bet you never forgot him again even to this day.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty, you're right it didn't happen again and it's awful to think he has been gone two years and the heartache remains.

      Yvonne.

      Delete