Friday 11 January 2019

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
I went out early today 
Just to the corner shop.
To buy some breakfast cereal
That yesterday I forgot.
 
As I turned the corner,
What a sight I saw.
It brought tears to my eyes
Which I didn't like at all.
 
There on the pavement,
Was a young lady , 20years I guess.
Wrapped in a sleeping bag,
Looking quite a mess.
 
She also had a dog with her,
Who was shivering in the cold.
Although he was wearing a doggy coat.
He was hungry and thirsty I was told.
 
I gave the girl some cash
To get herself and dog something hot.
She was a very well spoken lass,
Not rude as the usual lot.
 
When I arrived back home,
In the warmth of my home.
It got me thinking thoughts
About that dog who would love a bone.
 
Thoughts also came 
About how grateful I should be.
I have a roof over my head,
Although at times I feel self pity.
 
I gave that young girl some money,
As I thought of my departed son.
I can't help him anymore ,
But a glimmer of hope had begun.

It don't take much to be kind
As one goes on their way.
I hope young lady and dog.
Has a better, better day:

Yvonne Lewis 11/01/2019:
 

10 comments:

  1. Greetings Yvonne. A well-written piece with nice verses. Well done. It is good to help the homeless, particularly while it's cold. You are a nice, charitable person and I commend you for that. Often when I see the homeless I'm strapped for cash myself! I do appreciate a roof over my head and food in the cupboard. Blessings to your generous-self. Love love, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew for your comment. It upsets me to see people living rough and at times I don't appreciate what I do have,

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. sounds like you did a good thing for her. And perspective for you. Indeed so many have it worse. Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all is well with her and dog Joanne.
      Thanks for the comment.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. That was really nice of you to help her out with some money. I hope she used it wisely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so also Alex.
      Enjoy your weekend.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  4. This post was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. You are kind and charitable, Yvonne. I am grateful every day for what I had and for the parents who sacrificed everything to send me to university. Homelessness is a difficult problem in society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fundy Blue for your comment. I only knew my mother as dad passed away when I was three. Mum was wonderful, paid for me to have piano lessons and was never short of love.
      I thought I taught my three the same values in life but somewhere things have gone wrong, One son not long passed away and the other two offsprings I haven't seen in years or grandchildren.
      Hope your weekend is wonderful and peaceful.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. You did a nice thing. I'm sure the young lady appreciated it. You're right - we should count our blessings. Even when things aren't going so well, there are others in worse situations than ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry for your kind words. The only thing I wish hadn't happened of late is losing a son . one of the worst things that can happen to a mother as you will agree.

      Yvonne.

      Delete