Thursday 17 January 2019

WHY?

Above is a photo of my late son and wife at work
having fun.
Below is a poem I wrote after I was widowed
over 20 yrs ago.
I put it on my blog today as I had a bad night
going through the grieving process
------------
WHY?
My mother who gave me the gift of life
Had just passed away.
My husband who was so very ill
Went with her to stay.
 
You'll see me at my window,
With an intake of breath I sigh.
You'll hear me say just one word.
That one word is "Why?"
 
Why did this have to happen.
Did I do something wrong?
My questions are so endless,
They go on and on.
 
I kick through the leaves of Autumn,
Deep in thought am I.
The only word on my lips,
As I just whisper "Why?"
 
The emotions are so endless,
Anger, guilt, and tears from the heart I cry.
They run down my face unashamedly
As I ask people "Why?"
 
Perhaps I'll never know the answer
Until the day I die.
As I am gently led by the hand,
I'll then know the reason "Why?"
 
Copyright Yvonne Lewis 2008:
from the book
Negative V. Positive
-----------
Those who have experienced the loss
of a child will understand how I feel.
Those who haven't 
I hope you never will.
 
Yvonne.

16 comments:

  1. Greetings Yvonne. A well-written poignant poetic-piece. I'm so sorry you lost your Mother and Husband at a similar time, it must have been hard for you? You expressed yourself very well in your poem. So sorry for the loss of your youngest Son who you're still grieving. Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you my Friend. Blessings. Love love, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew your support is greatly appreciated.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. No children, so I never will. No one knows the answers. May God be with you and comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Alex for your lovely comment.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. There's no good answer to why? But you have to carry on for their sake and keep happy memories. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne, you're right I do have to carry on but it's the loneliness of the sleepless nights .

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  4. Hugs. Here's hoping your day is filled with sunshine and sparkle on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, taking a few dayss off.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. A very poignant poem which really brought a lump to my throat. I hope the grief over your son lessens in time and you remember your son with happy memories rather than sad ones. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  6. No good answer to why indeed, but those still here have to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat for coming by, but hard to keep going.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I've asked the question Why? The answer always comes back to me that God knows why. He's in control. He loves us and will never give us more than we can bear. So I trust in God that some day I'll know why too. And it really won't make a difference. God bless you and comfort you, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly your kind words are much appreciated.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  8. My heart goes out to you, Yvonne. I, too, have asked many times in my life, "Why? " But I have never had to deal with the loss of a spouse or a child, and I can't imagine what you have gone through. I did experience the loss of an ex-spouse, and my reaction was to dance on his grave in my imagination. I have still not reached the forgive stage. I hope, like you, that perhaps I'll know the answers when I die. Wishing you an easing of your grief and questioning. There is so much in life that is good, and as my mother-in-law used to say, "Being alive beats the alternative!" I hope that you have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Fundy Blue for your lovely comment. Much appreciated.

      Yvonne.

      Delete