Thursday 9 July 2020

FINALLY THE FIRST STEP:

FINALLY THE FIRST STEP:
Yesterday, with all chores complete,
After having a well deserved coffee.
I took a deep breath and sighed,
Today I start being a "New Me".
 
I put my shoes and coat on,
Most unfamiliar I confess.
Seventeen weeks in isolation,
Have made me look a complete mess.
 
I picked up my cell phone and keys,
Walked down the stairs to the front door.
Opened it and surveyed the scene.
Estatic to be outside once more.
 
I walked down the steps,
Then took that first step.
How good it felt, I admit
I could have wept.
 
One step followed another,
As I walked down the street.
Nothing had changed at all.
Not a soul did I meet.
 
Wearing a mask for the first time,
It misted up my specs.
Well it's  a small price to pay.
If that virus one don't want to get.
 
I then turned around,
To make the very short walk back.
A feeling of elation swept over me.
My confidence I did not lack.
 
Once home I phone my daughter,
She was over the moon.
We chatted for a while,
Into the afternoon.
 
I plan to take things easy,
A short walk hopefully each day.
I'm pleased I took that first step.
On this very happy Wednesday.
 
Yvonne Lewis:09/07/2020
 

16 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you, Yvonne! You're making good progress. And when it's safe, I think you should get a cat for a pet. You love cats and having a pet would be good company for you. My dog helps me so much through the loneliness of living alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie, alas pets are not allowed where I reside, I do sneak the odd stray cat in from time to time but not as the moment.
      Hope you're not too lonely Natalie.
      Take care.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. every little step. And I doubt you look as messy as most. Quarantine hair is the new "thing" and folks don't change from pajamas. Or if folks go to step out, they see you coming, and step back inside - bam, your coast is clear! No contact. Success - I'm happy for you and fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne, it was a big step for me but I did it. If it means that I can get my hair done in August then I will have to continue to do it. I wonder how much a risk it will be to have my hair done regarding Covic 19.
      Keep safe and well.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. That's wonderful. I bet the fresh air and sunlight was a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you, Yvonne. Those first steps are the hardest, but now you know you can do it. Enjoy your walks in the lovely fresh air. Oh, and my mask makes my glasses steam up too. Oh, well. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly for your lovely comments and support. Much appreciated.
      Hope you're well and safe.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. Good for you Yvonne!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Betty, hope all is well with you.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  6. Seventeen weeks! I'm so glad you're venturing out, Yvonne. May you have many more wonderful jaunts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was hard but harder going out.
      Yvonne.

      Delete